-->

Tuesday 3 July 2012

My Brain Used To Hurt


This screenshot is taken from a match in the European Championships. When I started reading the names, starting with South and going anti-clockwise around the table, the flags distracted me a few times. I was wondering if this was due to* the similarity of the flags making my brain assume that they were the same but then being jarred when it realised that this was not quite true. However, when I look at this image now it does not have the same effect on me as I now look directly at each flag first - and thus do not allow my brain to fill in the gaps.

*  Sorry Morse

In some ways this reminds me of the chart below. I think it is difficult for people to do because we have been trained to read words and ignore colour (except possibly for added information such as red for danger). Firstly, I think this would be an easy game for someone who could not read but knew the colours. Secondly, I have done it three times and done better each time. It can take a while to undo the habits of a lifetime (I spread my three goes over 20 minutes), but it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arrow Key Nav