-->

Thursday 12 April 2012

The New Big Five (or Six)

Back in 2003 Liverpool were coming off the mini treble and a second-place finish in the Premier league with a record number of points. Optimism was high and I came up with "The Big Five":
  • Gerard (Houllier)
  • Gerrard
  • Owen
  • Hyypia
  • Vignal


I recently came accross the Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences and so I put in the above numbers.

Not recalling Hyypia's number, I entered 10, 17, and 27 as a sequence and immediately realised I had missed a trick. The preceding numbers are the third-to-fifth numbers of a Fibonacci sequence beginning with three and seven. This would have meant having Abel Xavier and Harry Kewell in "The Big Five" but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Next I loaded up the current squad page to see if there were any Fibonacci sequences lurking in there. This is what I came up with:

  • 3 Enrique
  • 5 Agger
  • 8 Gerrard
  • 13 ----------
  • 21 Lucas
  • 34 Kelly
This looks pretty good to me. Just sign a world-class no. 13 and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arrow Key Nav