-->

Monday 30 April 2012

You Never Get A Second Chance To Make A First Impression

For me, the above is a truism for two reasons:

  1. You never get a second chance to make a second impression or third impression or fourth impression ..
  2. You can change someone's perception of that first impression
It is all moot as what happens last is more important than what happens first. My first English teacher thought me this with an example from a debate. A student he had coached finished with,
"Agreeing with this would be like a turkey voting for Christmas. If you were a turkey, would you vote for Christmas?"
A powerful argument. I was reminded of this when I came across a clip of Gordon Banks's save from Edison Arantes do Nascimento, a poor peasant boy from Brazil*. The clip, which is after the jump, contains what may be the greatest pass in football history but it is largely forgotten because of the play that follows it. Careful, it is right at the beginning of the clip.


*  A hint as to the providence of the version of the clip I watched.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Arrow Key Nav