-->

Friday, 6 January 2012

My Favourite Hand



The above hand occurred in the Junior Individual in Beijing 2008. I opened three diamonds first in hand and this was passed around. West opened a top spade and, not wanting to set up dummy's Q whilst dummy had an entry, switched to the the Q - after a lot of thought.

You are on the dummy, how would you continue?




I decided to play diamonds in the normal way, low to the Q, since West has already shown up with 9HCP and failed to act. This decision was rewarded when the J fell from West - although he would have a safe falsecard from Jx. I felt my next move was best done quickly. If East had started with Kxx in diamonds, he would be wary of giving me an entry to dummy. I quickly placed the K♣ on the table - which was passed all round.

That is two hurdles cleared but where would you go from here? Would it help if I told you I had played with LHO earlier and had judged him unlikely to have falsecard?



I reasoned that West had played true cards and so, if he were short in hearts, he would not be able to ruff. My next play was a hear to the eight. Sure enough, West discarded. Even better though, East panicked and took the heart and tried to cash his A ♣  - players do this after 16 days of bridge. I ruffed, led a heart to the table, discarded my spade on the Q♣, and finessed in trumps.

All this was good for +150 and beat the pairs making nine tricks in hearts. Here is the full layout:


Enhanced by Zemanta

Arrow Key Nav